Saturday, September 1, 2007

Culture Shock!

I was in the kitchen when my host mom, Erika showed me a bunch of bananas that had turned brown. She was going to throw them out when I told her that in Canada we make bread out of brown bananas. I offered to make banana bread for her and proceeded to print off a recipe and translate it into Hungarian. I took the recipe to her and soon found out that she didn't know what a cup measurement was when she asked me which size coffee cup I wanted to use. I then transfered all measurements into mL and started measuring out the ingredients. When I asked for a whisk, she said she didn't have one so instead she dusted off the old food processor that lives at the back of the pantry. Not having a bread pan, we improvized and popped the batter in the oven. When I went to turn on the oven, I noticed that it only went up to 250 degrees... so I cranked it to the maximum. I realized later when my host brother asked me what the F stood for that the oven temperature was set in degrees celcius, not ferenheit . My banana loaf, which was supposed to take over an hour to cook, was completely cooked in 20 minutes. I thought the banana bread was the worst I had ever tasted, but Erika said it was finóm, or delicious.

2 comments:

  1. Nice, Emily! Next I think you should wow them with muffins - apparently a pastry unique to N. America! I bet there is no muffin tin lurking in your host mother's kitchen though. I'll see what I can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea, thanks Sarah. I was also thinking Pavlova might be good... it's my favorite dessert.

    ReplyDelete