Friday, October 26, 2007

Oh Canada

I realized during my trip to Venice how lucky we are as Canadians. There are two other Rotary Exchange students living in Nyíregyháza with me: Hebe is 15 and she is from Taiwan. Nico, 18, is from Ecuador. Both Hebe and Nico had to get an Italian visa in order to visit Venice. I, on the other hand, did not. Hebe's visa was not passed until 1 hour before we boarded the bus to Venice, and Nico had to make 2 trips to Budapest in order to have his visa approved. When Nico went to pay for his visa, he had to pay in American dollars. The official currency of Ecuador is the American dollar, but the american money printed in Ecuador was not accepted be the Italian embassy in Budapest, so Nico was forced to find a bank that would exchange his money for him.

Having the priveleges that go along with being Canadian not only meant that I was saved the time of having to deal with all of the paper work that goes along with getting approved for a visa, but it also saved me a lot of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment