Monday, November 5, 2007

Halloween

Much to my dismay, Halloween is not celebrated in Hungary. However there is another, slightly less fun holiday that is celebrated on November 1st called All Hallows Day. On this day, families take flowers and candles to the graves of loved ones. Although Halloween is not celebrated, I somehow managed to get myself invited to probably the only Halloween costume party in Hungary. One of the girls at my school throws an annual Halloween party and decided to invite me this year. As you can see from the pictures, I used my few resources and turned myself into a French painter by wearing a baret, paint covered jeans, and painting a trashy black mustache on my face. The overall effect was fairly frightening--I looked like some of the boys at my high school!

I was highly impressed by most of the other girls' costumes and Andi, the hostess, had obvioulsy spent a long time preparing food and activities for the evening. We ate lots of junk food, played Twister and watched a scary movie. I was the oldest of all the girls at the party, but I was the first one to leave the living room where the scary movie was playing to go watch a Hungarian soap opera instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment