Thursday, October 6, 2011

Midnight Pie

This travel blog is starting to turn into a food blog. I find I've got more time on my hands here than I usually have when I'm at uni in Canada, so I'm spending my free time doing a lot of baking. I think food is so beautiful, so I just can't help myself taking and sharing pictures of what I've made. Hope you don't mind.

I had a brutal few weeks during mid-semester exams, so after dragging my weary self home after my last exam, I couldn't help but celebrate my freedom from an overbearing workload by baking a pie. (I'm a pie girl, not a cake girl. But don't call me a tart. Hah!). About a week before this midnight pie event, I discovered a fruit and veggie market that sells their produce for at least half the price that the supermarkets sell their produce at. I bought an entire flat of 15 of those small plastic containers of strawberries for only $10. Yum!


Thus, I found myself at 10:30 pm starting to roll out pie crust and mix up the innards of a strawberry-rhubarb pie. As it turned out, I had just enough flour to make the pie crust, but not enough to dust on the counter top to keep the crust from sticking as I rolled it out. I couldn't get my pie crust off the counter-top, so ended up having to press fragments of crust together in the bottom of the pan using my knuckles. I also realized after mixing up the egg wash that I didn't have anything to brush the egg wash onto the pie crust, so I had to use my fingers, and unfortunately you can tell. But when that pie came out of the oven just past midnight, I didn't care that it looked kind of crappy -- it tasted sooo good! Besides, if my Grandpa Venour had been there, he would have said that it was going to look worse where it was going.


No comments:

Post a Comment