Monday, August 29, 2011

Australian Damper

As I mentioned in my last post, half-way though last weekend's horseback riding trip our group stopped for tea and bread. The bread that we had was traditional Australian damper, which is a simple unleavened bread that was common fare in the bush because the ingredients could easily be carried around. The damper we had was warmed up in the fire for us, and was delicious with jam or honey on top.

This evening I was craving something to nibble on, so I thought I'd try my hand at making damper, since it's so easy and quick. Here's the recipe I used:

Ingredients:
  • 2. cups self-raising flour (I only had plain flour, so used that and added a teaspoon of baking powder)
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 - 1½ cups milk
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons butter
Mix together flour, salt, and sugar. Cut in the butter until fine crumbs form. Add milk slowly and mix to form a soft dough. Knead lightly on a floured surface until smooth. Shape into a round loaf, brush with milk, and cut a cross in the top.

Bake at 375° F for 30-40 minutes.

The bread is very dense and is really, really good smothered in butter and eaten warm. Apparently the drovers in the outback used to make this dough, wrap it around sticks and cook it over the coals of a fire. Damper is still frequently made by Australians for dinner parties and get-togethers.

Give the recipe a try and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment