Friday, September 2, 2011

Rainbow Cake!!!

My good friend Maike turned 22 this past weekend and threw a potluck birthday party at her apartment. I've been on a major baking spree lately, and decided to endeavour to make this impressive-looking rainbow cake that I'd seen on a few food blogs. I was really thrilled with the end product, and thought I might toot my own horn and share some pictures with y'all.
The cake is just a basic vanilla pound cake recipe.


I divided the batter into separate, equal portions and dyed each bowl of batter a different colour using food colouring.

Each bowl of batter had to baked separately, although I have seen other food bloggers pour each bowl of coloured batter one on top of the other to make a marbled rainbow cake. This also looks pretty cool.

I layered the slabs of cake, putting vanilla buttercream
icing in the middle.

The final product! I covered the rest of the cake in undyed buttercream icing, then used my icing piping bag to add a little pizazz!

I was really, really excited for Maike to cut into the cake. I think the best part of making this cake is the reaction you get from the person who cuts it open.

I think it looks so beautiful!!


No comments:

Post a Comment